About two years ago, Josh's grandmother, Florence, past away. We knew that her health was not good, and was not surprised when we got the phone call that she had gone to Heaven. She was a wonderful woman of God who loved her family very much.

Josh was pretty close to his grandma. When he was younger she helped to watch after him and his sisters. When Josh and I started dating, she was always very kind to me. She was fast to give me a hug when she saw me at church on Sundays or when his family gathered for birthdays or other family events. She invited me to her home and we would go out to lunch, just the two of us.

It was very sad to know that she was not going to get a chance to meet her first great grandchild. (I was about 3 months pregnant with Alyse when she passed away.)

A few months after she died, Josh made the trip back to Michigan because his mom and uncle were cleaning out his grandma's house. When he returned, he had brought back with him her dinning room table, chairs, and china cabinet. I was very glad to have it. I had spent many times at that table eating lunch with her or gathering on Christmas Eve or in the summer for family events. I was happy to have a part of her with us.

Another reason I was glad to have it was because when we got married, my grandpa had given Josh and I a set of beautiful china dishes that had been my grandma's. I thought that it was so special that I could put my grandma's dishes in Josh's grandma's cabinet.

Well, about a year ago, I got the idea that I was going to start to collect other family memorabilia and was going to create a "Heritage Room". It is a project that is not completed yet, but I have made a good amount of progress in the last little bit.

I was very excited a few weeks ago when we received Josh's aunt and uncle's Christmas card. Included with it was a CD of some family photo's that they had collected. I was so happy to have it. I have already gone and printed many of the photos to frame and put on the walls.

I thought I would share some of them with you.

All of these are pictures of Florence as a baby and growing up. The man is Josh's grandpa, Florence's first husband, Dave.




These are all of Sherry, Josh's mom, growing up and with his grandma, grandpa, and Uncle Rex and Uncle Jim.

I am so glad that we can display these in our house.

(I have also started to collect picture's of my side of the family. I haven't got a chance to scan all of them yet, but I hope to also share those with you very soon.)

Psalm 100:5
For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.

1 Comment:

  1. Raul and Catie said...
    what a great idea, Steph! those photos are definitely something that you should hang on to. my mom has old photos of my grandparents and great-grandparents around the house, and I always appreciated that though I didn't know most of them, they were still a part of my family through the photos. how great for Alyse to grow up with that, too.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home